Sunday, September 11, 2005

All wrapped up with no place to go.


I have been looking into the art of zutsumi. The japanese art of wrapping a gift. However, there are very few books on the subject, and just as few web resources. It fascinates me when a craft or custom that has been done for hundreds of years has no written record. "Grandma did it this way, and she showed me when I was your age, so now I'm showing you." and so it goes generation after generation.

Take the Chinese tradition of folding joss paper on the New Year. For hundreds of years they have been doing this, and I have found two examples in print, and I am still searching for something online. The Same with the Japanese tradition of folding Noshi. There is only one English language book on the topic, and only a few text refrences in origami books.

If you have information on any of these topics, please contact me, I would love to hear about them.

1 comment:

Peascod said...

Sounds like a book crying to be written!